There comes a time in every person's life when she has simply posted too many photos of Starbucks drinks. That line was crossed for me a few nights ago, and though I don't vow to never post another Starbucks photo, I will try my hardest to refrain in the future. Why, you ask? Because the world has already seen it a million times, and it's never any different.
Granted, my last Instagram photo of a Starbucks drink was their newest release, the "S'mores Frappuccino" and it was preeeetttyyyy freakin rad. I felt the need to tell the world that this drink was "omg literally saving my life right now" and though it tasted awesome, it was obviously not saving my life. Nor would I order one of these drinks again, mostly because they contain entirely too much sugar.
What I'm saying here is... we have probably all taken the same exact photo 400 different times. What is that doing for us, really? Sure, the photo may gain you some sort of Starbucks Aficionado street cred, but who is that helping at the end of the day?
My photography professor (hi Justin) asked us this question at the beginning of the semester: "Why Take Another Photo?" and it's taken me until now to fully understand why he asked it. Why take another photo of a Starbucks drink when there's so much out there to actually experience?
These are my list of things that we (myself included) should stop wasting our time posting on Instagram:
- Starbucks drinks - unless of course they're "literally saving your life" in an actual literal way.
- Your fast food order - seriously, Chipotle is always the same. So is Panera. If you're going to post these, at least try something else from the menu each time.
- Running errands - why?
- Another variation of that same selfie - you are a beautiful person (seriously!), but three selfies on the same day, at the same place, with the same shirt can be a little much.
- Empty dishes - why show us the plate after you ate the meal? Just pay your bill and go home.
- Hot dog legs - taking actual pictures of the beach would be better. Nice tan though.
- Inspirational quotes - I have never seen a quote on Instagram that changed my life for the better. I've never actually read one that I can remember. They are an instant eyeroll for me. (Of course if you love them, who am I to judge?! Do you.)
- Someone giving you a pedicure - this one just always struck me as really weird.
- Hospital selfies / pics, especially IV in arm - I get why people post these, as medical stuff can be really significant in your life, but I think these need to come with a trigger warning or at least a text/call to your loved ones first. Nobody wants to find out you're in the hospital over social media. Unless of course you're delivering a baby. Then yay!
- Videos of inside jokes - you are actually the only person that understands this, why not just save it to your phone?
- Photos stolen from Tumblr - you're not fooling anyone, we know that isn't your record player.
And now my list of things that you should always post on Instagram:
- Pets - some may argue with me on this, but I LOVE seeing other people's pets on the 'gram.
- Babies - while 100 photos a day isn't my preferred method of seeing your little one, a few photos here and there are sure to make me smile.
- Special food photos: like food you made yourself, a new restaurant you're trying out, anything worthy of the #foodporn hashtag.
- Something you created. If you're crafty, I wanna see it.
- Your travels. Heck yeah hiking photos. Oh you're in Paris now? Work that bikini girl.
- Your #OOTD if it's on point and you're really feeling it.
- Your #wcw, especially when it's me.
- The people you love, just don't add that "we've had our ups and downs" bullshit caption.
- Your accomplishments. Get your brag on!
- Anything else that showcases your personality. That's the reason we follow you! A little bit of cliché is okay, as long as you're having fun with it.
Of course I'm not the Instagram police (they don't pay me enough for that), and you can post Starbucks pictures any time you want, but why not think outside the box next time you're thinking of snapping a pic of that caramel macchiato?
What is on your Instagram no-no list?
Take a peek at my Instagram and feel free to call me out for breaking my own rules!